Friday, July 13, 2012

Christmas in July and the Opposite of Superstition

Today's post is a little random, hence the title.

Let me start by saying that today is Friday the 13th. Are you scared yet? I'm not. Now, for someone superstitious, that would be a big deal. But for someone like me, it's just like any other Friday. As my husband says, "Just another day in the way." Just to prove how literally non-superstitious I am, let's talk about the proverbial black cat crossing your path. I see that happen, and I think to myself,  "Oh, look. That pretty cat probably just wants to go hang out at a neighbor's." Or, say, the penny on the ground. "Find a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck." Right? Not to me. My thought would be more like..."Oh, a penny! I'm going to leave that there for someone who needs it more than I do."  I have never been one to wear a lucky shirt, or rub a rabbit's foot to make a wish. (That poor rabbit!!)

My peace comes from something far more wonderful. My faith.

Our family knows that today is kind of a big deal for us. If you don't know, we are waiting to hear important medical information about our newest family member who will join us soon. He is fine, so don't get all crazy on me. We have a lot of people praying for this new little man, and have fully covered this in prayer. The fact that the tests fall on Friday the 13th would just terrify some. It didn't me....I just rolled out of bed at the crack o'dawn like I always do and headed out the door to a local estate sale right up the road, with prayers running through my heart and mind non-stop.

Shuffling through the sale, I stumbled upon a box of Bibles. The sign said, "Bibles...Free." So I began digging through the box to find a couple I'd like to have. Let me just tell you...I hit the Word of God jackpot! And guess how many Bibles there were in the box? Yep. 13. The lady told me I could have them all, so I took them home and started rummaging through them all.

Once I got home, I realized the significance of God's Word in abundance over our family today.
John 1:1-5 began flooding my mind and gave me such peace about our circumstances.
 1 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. He existed in the beginning with God. 3God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him4 The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.

Call me quirky, but it doesn't stop there. I discovered in the stack a teen Bible, for my precious Stayton. A child's Bible, for our new little man. An Amplified Bible, which happens to be my favorite translation. Several antique versions of the Bible that fit my vintage decor in my house. I'm a sucker for anything vintage. I even found handwritten notes and heirloom letters tucked into the pages of these Bibles. These next few images fully portray why I felt such a PEACE as I explored my free treasures. Have a look...and tell me there is not a God who hears our prayers.


I know that He is sovereign over us. I know that our future is in His hands. And I know that He gives us the grace and strength to make it through. For those of you praying for us, thank you. We are deeply grateful.

Now, for the Christmas in July part. The fact that we are getting a baby brother for Stayton very soon, coupled with 10-year-old stockings that, quite honestly, I'm tired of looking at, I decided it was high time I started a new batch of Christmas stockings. Armed with amateur sewing skills, minimal sewing supplies, and a magnificent vision...I went fabric shopping today. Here are the coordinating fabric choices:
SOOOOOO PRETTY!  What?? You don't like them? Oh, it must be because they don't scream Christmas. Again, I'm quirky, and one of my least favorite things about Christmas is all of the blatant commercialized fabrics and decor that just feel so 'mawmaw' to me. Maybe it's my design background mixed with the belief that Christmas doesn't always have to be red and green, but I am so in love with these fabrics!
Stripes for the boys...


And mod flowers for Mom and Abbie.

So, get out there, live your life without fear today! Let go of your superstitions! And embrace truth...and by all means, MERRY CHRISTMAS in July.

Until next time~~
Peace out

4 comments:

  1. This post is amazing!! I love that your not superstitious because I'm not at all either! I think the same way as you do! I loved seeing how god worked with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a picture perfect day of praise and reflection. Your family has a starring role in my prayers these days and I cannot wait to see pictures of your beautiful boy...truly a gift from God. And I LOVEthe stocking material....it reminds me of Little Women...which I love....so much beauty in simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to hit the Bible jackpot, sis!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superstitions and super stitchin'. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete